|5 Common SEO Mistakes
October 26th, 2008 by J.K.
There are some SEO mistakes you will want to avoid when you are optimizing your site for search engines. Here are some of the more common mistakes people make.
1. No title tag. Many SEO’s consider the title tag to be the single most important thing you can optimize on your site. If you leave this blank or you have a title tag that is not properly optimized it can really hurt your rankings.
2. Targeting the wrong keywords. When you optimize your site you are trying to get targeted viewers to your site and you are focusing on keywords that your customers will be searching for. If you have the wrong keywords on your site you will not be attracting the correct viewers. Always research your keywords and find out how customers search for what you have to offer then optimize using those keywords.
3. Too many bad backlinks. Some people believe the more backlinks they get the better. That is not always the case. If you do nothing but get backlinks from link farms and spam sites it could eventually hurt your rankings. Focusing on getting links from quality relevant sites. A few links for quality sites are more valuable to you than a bunch of links on garbage sites.
4. No keywords in the text of the site. When you write text on your site you will want to sprinkle the keywords you are optimizing for throughout the text. Not having your target keywords in your site’s body text means that the search engine has less information on your site to index so it will have a hard time deciding where to rank you and ultimately you will end up buried somewhere on page 56.
5. Overstuffing keywords. This is just the opposite of the above problem. If you pack your site with keywords it will make your site look spammy to the search engines and eventually you will be penalized for it. Use keywords moderately, but don’t overdue it. A good rule of thumb is to write something that is readable. If putting a keyword in a sentence makes the sentence read correctly, do it. If it makes it sound awkward, find somewhere else to put that keyword.
These are some of the more common mistakes that people make when they optimize their site for search engines. With a little attention to detail you can avoid these and build a very successful site.
Begin your successful Search Engine Optimization with Got Web Host.